This is the fourth post in a series about stress. Previous posts can be found here, here and here.
Stress can impact on Crohn’s Disease and so it is important that you actively manage your stress levels. Here are some active positive things that you can do which will keep your mid off stressful thoughts and get you doing / thinking about something else instead:
- Learn to say no – you can’t do everything all of the time
- Delegate or allocate tasks to others – this can be at work or home e.g. let someone else book the restaurant or cook a meal
- Treat yourself regularly – what do you enjoy? Theatre, cinema, favourite restaurant, evening class or massage?
- Make time every day to switch off with friends or family – as Jane Howard said ‘Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one’.
- Try to have a special goal to acheive – something to look forward to such as a party or a holiday that can keep your mind focussed on something positive
- One day / evening a week try to go out of the house to do something – don’t just stay in and watch TV
- If you have children, try to have some time on your own where you can prioritise your needs