One of the nicest things that anyone can do for someone poorly with something like Crohn’s is to surprise them with a care package. Big or small, cheap or luxurious a package of treats is always welcome, and more so when you are not feeling great or convalescing.
If someone is having a flare of Crohn’s then edible items should not be high in fat, sugar or fibre as these can exacerbate symptoms. Edible items should also have a mix of shelf lives as flare ups can cause appetite reduce.
Here is a nice care package you can put together for a friend with Crohn’s, you can buy everything from a well stocked local shop:
- A current magazine – the sort that they would enjoy but don’t subscribe to
- A small selection of fruit e.g. a couple of bananas, satsumas, apples, grapes etc or a pre-prepared fruit salad (melons and grapes are particularly nice)
- Good quality fruit juice or smoothie
- Crisps or puffed rice ‘crisps’ such as snack-a-jacks
- A packet of biscuits (hobnobs for me!)
Maybe you shop at your local market (My home town, Shrewsbury has an excellent one) From a local market you could get:
- A Book (markets often have second-hand book stalls as well as shops selling new books)
- A bunch of flowers
- A small selection of fruit e.g. a couple of bananas, satsumas, apples, grapes etc
- A cake or a couple of cupcakes (think about size and shelf life)
- Locally produced deli treats (ham, cheese, bread etc) that can make easily prepared meals
If you live away from your loved one, your care package can be a bit different. You could pack up the following and mail it to them:
- A book or magazine
- A small fruit cake
- A couple of packets of biscuits
- A handwritten note or card
- Snacks e.g flap jacks
Or you could order a postal gift from a retailer such as:
- A fruit basket
- A chocolate hamper
- Mail order flowers
- Hamper of food / preserves / tea / coffee / wine etc
And of course you could try your hand at baking and making the contents of your care package!
Since writing this post I have received some great ideas from twitter followers:
@SalB1990 suggests: Novels, Diet Coke, DVDs, Cheese & Crackers, Hot water bottle (ed. yes! hot water bottles are always welcome, they serve a multitide of purposes for pain releife and warmth) , Puzzlers and salt & vinegar crisps
@gutgremlins has the genius idea of including toilet paper in the care package – oooh espcially luxury top of the range TP please!
So what would you like in your care package?
NB I haven’t included links to specific retailers because of my varied readership across the world, but these ideas should be sufficient for you to google local information about relevant retailers.